(illustration by Luci Pina from here)


Wow, I'm really slowing down my posting with the warmer weather. I am sure it will pick up again in the Fall, but continue to be sluggish through the next few months. What can I say? I actually try to minimize my time looking at a screen and summer is the perfect excuse. 

We went swimming a handful of times in our local lakes already, the most recent being actual swims where we stay in the water and do some strokes and tread water instead of just dunking under, screaming, and running out again. The water is warming up!

I ran across this illustration on an article I was reading the other day and thought it was pretty great. I really liked how kind of raw and sketchbooky/artschooly it looked. Also all the layering and cheap xerox paper colours. The artist is Luci Pina. She also had a shout-out on the blog It's Nice That, where she said this, which I really liked:


Over time, “I’ve become quite comfortable with making ugly drawings,” as she puts it, feeling no pressure but to draw “without much restriction so that whatever it is I’m making is an authentic response to what I’m referencing”.

 

I love the idea of making ugly drawings! Why not? It is so freeing to just not care and put emphasis on feelings instead of technical prowess. In the end it doesn't really matter. I always think it is just an added bonus if a person can really draw well. The more important thing is the intention and the emotional quality. Is it communicating something??