(image: New York, 1972, Helen Levitt, from here)


Listened to a episode of the War on Cars podcast and it got me thinking about several things I like to think about, such as; urban planning, children's play, bicycling (or the reverse: car culture)... There was a lot in there for me to chew on. 

I live in a place that is similar to the new build discussed in the podcast. My kids can walk out the front door and play unattended in our neighbourhood. And they do, for hours at a time, in all seasons. 

The reason this can happen are because of a very specific set of factors, the most important being protected 'park-like' green areas, extremely slowed traffic, other kids to play with and a fair number of adults that, while occupied in their homes, keep an ear and eye out for what's happening on the street.

It's not perfect, but it has improved our lives immeasurably. 

The kids play made-up games and build forts, run through secret passages in the hedges, and probably get up to all sorts of things I would rather not know about (I did tell them no more scavenging out of the garbage bins). They also hang out with other adults (trusted ones!) and learn about things I could not teach them myself, like gardening and construction. Some play soccer or baseball with them. 

When they are outside playing, I can get up to my own things. Sometimes it's house chores, but other times I can watch a documentary or take a bath or write a blog post (!) or do a drawing. 

I feel protective over the other kids in the neighbourhood and watch out for them. Sometimes I feed them, and sometimes I have given them heck too. We have done crafts together, or just hung out in our tiny (open and shared) backyard and chatted. 

It's a mixed bag in our hood, diverse in every sense, and not every home is a happy home but I try to care for the kids who come my way. It has expanded my world and I am so grateful for it.